Thursday, January 22, 2009

Feeling Sorry for myself

Well here I am feeling sorry for myself once again. I do not have a job and have to stay at home everyday! whaa whaa! 
Pleeeaaasseee! (Amanda says sarcastically) I sat here on my couch today and told myself that I had no purpose and I must be lazy because I am not out there in our crazy world making more money to buy more things. 
Now, yes I do need money. In today's society you can not survive without it. I am not sure you could not have survived without money in any society, but my job does not define who I am. 
My relationship with God defines who I am. My willingness to serve others defines who I am. 

My husband brought me to a movie tonight entitled "Defiance". It was amazing. It was about the holocaust and a group of Jews that escaped from the torture of concentration camps and had to survive in the woods for several years. This movie was a true story and it helped put my life in perspective. Although these Jews were living the worst possible life that any of us could live they still found time to worship and thank God and to serve one another. If these people could do that surely I could! This was a fantastic movie and I could recommend for anyone to see it. It could be life changing!

So here I am sitting here on the couch in a warm house with many luxuries while my husband plays Playstation 3 on his 46 inch flat screen LCD.  It's time for me to stop feeling sorry for myself and to start thinking more about others and more about how I can serve God.

For those of you that do not know I have been out of church for about 6 months now. Just the past couple of weeks TJ and I started attending Stevens Creek Church again. This is the church I worked at for about a year and quit suddenly because I was very unhappy there. Well when I did quit, it became very easy for us to travel on the weekends and/or just stay at home on Sundays. Do I think that TJ and I needed some time for our relationship to grow? Yes! However, we did not use this time for our relationship to grow together in Christ. Can I get that time back? No! But can I change things starting right now? Yes! ( I like to ask myself questions and answer them myself (TJ hates that I do that!)) Anyway, I did gain some good things out of missing church. For one, I have learned how easy it is for a Christian to just all of a sudden be completely overwhelmed with church and all of it's doings. I can relate to these people and I hope that maybe in someway I can take this time that I have spent not living for the Lord and still use it to Glorify God! Maybe somehow I can help people who have also been hurt by other Christians and show them that their relationship with God is the most important. 
God has used a movie made by Hollywood to touch a young woman's selfish heart. 
God, I pray right now that you would remove the selfishness from my heart and help me to Love you, Love people, and to serve the World!

Well, guys that is pretty much my thoughts for the day. Of course I have so many more but if I expose all my craziness to you at once you may not want to come back for more :) haha!

Love God, Love People, Serve the World!

Amanda B. Hearndon

1 comment:

  1. It's easy to get out of the swing of things. Trust me. We understand that all to well. We just started attending a new church. Before that, it had been about 10 months for us. We love the one we're at now. I have a student doing a research paper on the brothers that inspired Defiance. I want to see that movie. FYI, in that same time era is a new movie called The Boy in the Striped PJs.

    ReplyDelete